Garden for the Blind
The goal of the J.R. Curtis, Jr. Memorial Garden for the Blind was to create a space in which learning and recreation came together to form a healing environment. The concept of a healing environment is based on the understanding that there is a medical connection between mind, body, and soul. Healing gardens are intended to provide an ordered place where its occupants will experience a sense of well-being and wonder that will alter their mood. Contact us for rental information.
The garden evokes rhythms that energize the body, inform the spirit, and enhance the recuperative powers inherent in a weak body or mind. Other positives that have resulted from the garden are listed below.
- Boost community awareness for people with disabilities
- Give hands on learning environment to those who need it most
- Increase knowledge of the healing properties of plants
- Create an environmentally friendly garden
- Find perfection in yourself through helping others.
The Garden surrounds a beautiful pond with a perpetual fountain, ADA sidewalks, gazebo, wooden walk bridge, and a butterfly garden. The Master Plan for the Garden for the Blind contained the following elements:
- Taste - herbs, fruits, and flowers
- Smell - gardenias, herbs, flowers
- Touch - leaves, flowers, fruits, and water
- Hear - water, birds, and chimes
- Plants easily accessible to wheelchairs and other guests
- Beds can be planted easier
- Gives trees added height for shade
- Bed walls can be used as support, seating, leaning and guiding
- Rocky Creek
- Geyser fountains in pond
- Interactive fountain
- Statuary with different materials (Wood St. Francis, Stone Angels, Metal Abstract)
- Wind Chimes
- Bird baths, feeders, and houses
The Gazebo located next to the J.R. Curtis, Jr. Memorial Garden for the Blind is used year round for group pictures, personal pictures, picnics, and quite reflection, in addition to other uses. There is no cost to use the Gazebo; however you may rent it at a cost of $25 per hour if you want to secure a certain time slot for an important event such as an exchange of wedding vows. Rental includes only the use of the Gazebo and does not prevent others from using the bridge area, parking lot or other areas of the Garden. Please keep the following in mind when using the Gazebo: chairs are not permitted on the lawn area; decorations are not allowed to be nailed, glued, screwed, or stapled onto the Gazebo; and, birdseed, confetti, glitter, or rice are not allowed to be “showered” or tossed into the air.