The City of Longview Parks and Recreation Department uses American Red Cross curriculum to train its aquatic staff.
Lifeguard Training Course
Class Minimum: 6 participants
Class Maximum: 15 participants
*A Pre-Course session must be successfully completed before enrollment. Call 903-237-1066 to enroll in the pre-course of your choice.
To enroll in the Lifeguard Training Course, you must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session. There will also be a pre-course session, in which you will be required to pass a swimming skills test before you will be able to register for the Lifeguard Training Course (there is no fee for the pre-course.)
Pre - Course
The skills you will perform at the Pre-Course Session are as follows:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.
- 100 yards of breaststroke, using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
2. Tread water for 2 minutes without support and without stopping, using only the legs to stay afloat, in a depth of 7-10 feet. Hands are to be placed under the armpits and the head must remain above water.
3. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, make a surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 lb. object, return to the surface and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
Note: The participant must hold the object with both hands, placing the object on his/her chest, and must keep his/her face above the water.