The City of Longview Parks and Recreation Department uses American Red Cross curriculum to train its aquatic staff.
Lifeguard Training Course
Class Minimum: 6 participants
Class Maximum: 15 participants
*A Pre-Course session must be successfully completed before enrollment. Call 903-237-1066 to enroll in the pre-course of your choice.
To enroll in the Lifeguard Training Course, you must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session. There will also be a pre-course session, in which you will be required to pass a swimming skills test before you will be able to register for the Lifeguard Training Course (there is no fee for the pre-course.)
Lifeguard Training Course Information (.pdf)
Pre - Course
The skills you will perform at the Pre-Course Session are as follows:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.
- 100 yards of breaststroke, using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
2. Tread water for 2 minutes without support and without stopping, using only the legs to stay afloat, in a depth of 7-10 feet. Hands are to be placed under the armpits and the head must remain above water.
3. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, make a surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 lb. object, return to the surface and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
Note: The participant must hold the object with both hands, placing the object on his/her chest, and must keep his/her face above the water.
Pre - Course Schedule and Information (.pdf)
This assessment is for guards that have been certified in the 2012 version of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training. If you were certified in the older version, you will need to take the full training. You must show proof of certification at the time of enrollment.
Participants of this course should come prepared to perform the following Lifeguard Training tests:
- Final in-water skills scenarios - (must demonstrate competency in the skills)
- CPR/AED (for the Prof Rescuer) & First Aid written exam (80% to pass)
- Lifeguarding written exam (80% to pass)