- Classes, times, and locations are subject to change and may include certain limitations in order to comply with current safety standards concerning COVID-19, Please call 903-237-1270 for the latest information.
Basic Dog Obedience
This popular class helps owners tame even the most unruly dogs. Handlers learn how to manage and correct different behavioral issues with their pets through the caring, yet firm, instruction of Pam Orms.
2022 Class Dates:
Mondays from 6 to 7 p.m.
*If needed, the Parks Department will open another class time from 7:15 to 8:15 p.m.*
- July 25 - Aug. 22
- Sept. 12 - Oct. 10
- Oct. 24 - Nov. 21
All classes are $75 per dog.
Before arriving at the first class, please read over the pre-class information form.
Basic dog obedience makes use of both voice commands and hand signals, as well as treats and praise to help the dogs learn while also including corrections as needed. This class is designed to help you and your dog learn basic obedience commands like walking on leash, sit, down, stay, come and "go to your place". We’ll focus special attention on good manners like not jumping up and unwanted barking. You will learn basics for getting – and keeping – your dog’s attention, even with distractions. If you and your pet attend classes and practice a minimum of 15-20 minutes per day at home, your dog should be well on it’s way to doing all basic commands within five weeks.
In order to participate in the class, you are asked to provide some equipment in order to maintain a safe environment for everyone that participates.
- 5 - 6 ft. long leather, cotton, or nylon leash
- Training collar (see pre-class info sheet) of the correct size and thickness for the individual dog
- Proof of rabies vaccination
- Small treats that are easily chewed
- Fanny pack or easy access pockets
- Proper shoes for walking. No sandals, open toed shoes, or slip ons.
Choosing not to comply with these rules, will result in dismissal from that day’s class.
This class is now held indoors at the Longview Exhibit Center at the Longview Convention Complex.
Please register through the Parks and Recreation Department’s online registration portal.