An applicant interested in serving with the Longview Police Department must meet the following requirements to be considered for a position:
- U.S. citizen.
- High school diploma or GED.
- At least 20 years old. Must turn 21 prior to graduation from an approved Police Academy. There is no maximum age limit.
- Possess 20/20 vision, either corrected or uncorrected, in each eye. Uncorrected vision cannot exceed 20/100 in each eye, unless vision is corrected by use of contact lenses or glasses which must be worn while on duty and during all law enforcement activities. Must be free from dichromatic color blindness, night blindness and any other visual deficiencies or limitations.
- Possess hearing with less than 30 dB loss, either corrected or uncorrected in each ear. Uncorrected hearing cannot exceed 60 dB in each ear.
- Never convicted of an offense above a Class B misdemeanor, and no convictions for a Class B misdemeanor offense within the past 10 years.
- No convictions for any family violence offense of any degree.
- Never been or currently on a court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of Class B misdemeanor or for an offense of the grade of Class B misdemeanor within the past 10 years.
- Not currently under indictment for a criminal offense.
- Driving record must meet City of Longview standards. All applicants must possess a Texas Driver License or if they possess an out-of-state driver license must be licensed to drive by the State of Texas, within 30 days of establishing a residence if they relocate within the state. (Specific requirements concerning traffic and criminal records may be obtained by contacting the Training & Recruiting Section at 903-239-5520, 903-239-5529 or 903-237-1096.)
- Of good moral character and have stable school/work/driving record
- Must not have been received a "dishonorable" or "bad conduct" discharge following a military court martial.
- No pending litigation criminal or civil (including divorce).
*The ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.