Our mission: The mission of Longview Bridges Out of Poverty is to eradicate and alleviate poverty through awareness, education and collaborative efforts in the community.
In 2009, Partners in Prevention started the first Getting Ahead class to address the issues of poverty in Longview. Then, in 2013, the Longview Bridges Out of Poverty Steering Committee – with representatives from the faith-based community, non-profit organizations, school districts, local government, local Housing, people from poverty, and others with an interest in eradicating poverty – began regular meetings.
The Longview Bridges Out of Poverty Steering Committee meets monthly on the 4th Thursday of each month at noon at Partners in Prevention Office, 140 E. Tyler St., Suite 400. The Steering Committee is currently working on goals set forth in their strategic plan.
The goals are as follows:
- Goal A: To “move the needle” by lowering the poverty rate.
- Goal B: Identify “Actions” to work toward - A Work Plan
- Goal C: Grow and expand the diversity of Longview Bridges Out of Poverty Steering Committee
- Goal D: Awareness through Media (break the stereotyping of poverty)
- Goal E: Continue educating Steering Committee in the Bridges Out of Poverty model
- Goal F: To advocate on behalf of individuals in poverty
- Goal G: Create a Research subcommittee
- Goal H: Positive Recognition
If you are interested in joining the Longview Bridges Out of Poverty Steering Committee, please call 903-237-1019.