Adult Summer Reading Club
What is Adult Summer Reading Club?
Adult Summer Reading Club is a free program we offer through the months of June and July to all adults ages 18+.
Our goal is to get you reading and to keep promoting reading and learning no matter what age you are!
Often times we see lots of caregivers participate along with their child in the kid's Summer Reading Club!
You are not only enriching your life through this program, but you're also passing on the importance of learning and the library to future generations.
ASRC is all about "Oceans of Possibility" this year!
Use this summer to take a deep dive into something new and exciting. Your library is the perfect place to test the waters!
Patron participation and word of mouth is a BIG part of our Adult Summer Reading Club success, so we encourage you to get signed up, and participate in the weekly challenges and events we have to offer!
REGISTERING FOR ADULT SUMMER READING CLUB
• Register online using Beanstack, or come do so in-person.
• Ages 18+ are eligible to sign up for ASRC.
• Pre-registration is May 1 - June 6.
• You must be registered to participate in any of the raffles, giveaways, or challenges.
• You do not need a library card to participate in ASRC, but it is encouraged for you to get one, so you can check out books for the reading challenge! Find out how to get a library card in the "MY ACCOUNT" tab in the upper menu.
When you're all signed up, come into the library to pick up a free "Welcome to Adult SRC" gift bag.
Bags are first come, first serve while supplies last. Each one will include some goodies to get you in the summer mood!
Select bags might also include special prizes like coffee certificates to local shops, digital movie codes, or a gift card!
Will you be a lucky one?!
You asked and we listened!
Adults can now create an account in Beanstack and easily log reading time to earn entries into the weekly raffle drawings and keep track of your progress in one place.
Head to our Beanstack webpage, and follow the easy walkthrough to get signed up.
Please note that if you have used Beanstack to sign up your family in previous Summer Reading Clubs then you will need to remember the previous email and password that was used. If you get any messages and cannot proceed with online signup, then please see us at the front desk for assistance.
Signing up as an individual:
- Select "I am registering myself".
- Only use this option if you have your own email and do not want to be part of a family account.
- You will log in and track independently of anyone else in your family.
- An individual account can't be added to an existing family account without losing progress and prizes earned.
Signing up as a Family:
- Select "I am an adult registering a child" Everyone can access account with same username and password.
- Each member can track progress and earn prizes at their own pace.
- Each member has access to challenges based on their age and grade level.
- Adults do not have to sign themselves up to log progress, they can just have the kid(s) on the family account.
- Adults can participate in Adult challenges and earn prizes.
You'll then be asked to enter in your basic information: Name, phone, email, etc.
For "How Old Are You", choose adult if you're 19+.
For "Grade Level" there will be an option for adult.
When submitted, you'll unlock your very first Beanstack badge and proceed to your Beanstack homepage where you can see your challenges and account status, etc.
REGISTER IN PERSON
If you need assistance in registering for ASRC, visit the circulation desk and staff will be happy to sign you up!
They'll ask for basic information like name, email, phone, etc. and sign you up through Beanstack.
Please note that you don't have to use Beanstack to log your reading. You will need to submit paper tickets each week though.
This just keeps your name and information on file to show you're signed up.
WEEKLY READING CHALLENGE RAFFLE
Get rewarded for reading!
We'll have unique basket prizes to give away in a weekly raffle drawing.
When participants log reading online, or submit a paper raffle ticket, their name will be entered into the drawing.
The more you read, the more chances you have to win!
For every 60 minutes of a book read or audiobooks listened to = 1 raffle ticket.
- 120 minutes (or two hours) of reading logged online = 2 entries into the drawing.
- 8 hours (or 480 minutes) of an audiobook listened to = 8 raffle tickets to fill out.
Participants can begin submitting raffle tickets on June 6.
Raffle duration is June 6 - July 18, so we will have 6 drawings total.
• Paper tickets are available at the front desk and ASRC display table. Fill them out and turn them into the box at the display.
• When logging reading time on Beanstack, raffle tickets will be entered automatically after submitting your time. Look for the yellow "Log Reading" button at the top left corner of your Beanstack home page. Click, and follow the steps to log reading time.
• You have until 12:00 PM on each Monday of the week to get your tickets submitted/reading logged before the winner drawing.
• We will draw a winner and announce them via the library's Facebook later that day. The process then resets and you're free to submit tickets for the next weekly drawing.
• We will not take any submissions over the phone or via email.
Make a splash this year and try to complete our Bookmark Challenge to win a grand prize basket!
Print out the bookmark slips below, or grab one at the ASRC display in the library.
If you've chosen to register and use Beanstack, you can also participate in the Bookmark Challenge listed under your Activity Badges tab.
Once you've checked everything off, bring your slip back to the library and return it at the front desk and your name will be entered into the raffle drawing.
Beanstack users will be entered automatically after they complete all of the activities within the activity badge and earn the activity badge.
Some of these challenges involve reading certain types of books, so be sure to fill out weekly raffle drawing tickets as you go!
Deadline to complete Bookmark Challenge and return slip:
July 18, 2021 by 12:00 PM.
Here's a list of the challenges:
• Visit a local bookstore.
• Eat somewhere local.
• Read a book written by a diverse author.
• Attend a library event.
• Read a nonfiction book about an accomplished person you’ve never heard of.
• Read a fiction book with a beach cover.
• Read a book written by a local author.
• Watch a movie that is set on or in an ocean.
• Visit a local attraction.
Adult Summer Reading Club Events
Library Gardening: Wildflower Seed Bombs
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Let’s learn to grown some wildflowers!
We’ll lead you through a how-to process of mixing and making seed bombs/balls using easy to find materials. Plus we’ll go over some of the different types seeds and their growing process.
Once everything is done, you can go home and “bomb” your garden or yard and grow some native wildflowers for the area.
Not only will you be adding some beauty to the area, but you’ll be providing a natural attractor for pollinators and beneficial insects. Plus, you’ll be helping improve soil health, water quality, and ecosystem functions in the area!
Workshop is free to attend, but sign-up is needed so we can gauge how much supplies to gather.
Plan to wear comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty!
Sign up early! Let your gardening friends/family know you want to have a summer get together!
June 11, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
You’re welcome to sign up at the front desk, or you can call (903) 237-1350 during business operations.
Sounds & Stacks, featuring: Covie The Band
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Plan to attend the summer edition of our live music series: Sounds & Stacks!
We'll be treated to a free show from local and East Texas favorite: Covie the Band!
Covie (founded by band leader, Covenant Olatunde) is a collective group of musicians, artists, and performers who play a healthy blend of pop, soul, reggae, and blues.
They love to perform and promote collective artistry in the entertainment world, so we’re in for a great show!
We LOVE having live music right here in the library. If you've never experienced a Sounds & Stacks show, then you're missing out.
The library has amazing acoustics for music, and you won't have to worry about librarians shushing you to be quiet!
June 24. Show starts at 6:30 PM.
Sounds & Stacks is FREE to attend (no cover!).
Voices of Local Longview: Fresh Possibilities at the Historic Farmers Market
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Our brand new Genealogy series arrives just in time for ASRC!
Each session will feature a different speaker who will tell us about a piece of Longview and East Texas history through their own stories and experiences.
This month’s guest: Lynette Goodson of Preservation Longview will speak about the Historic Farmers Market and how they’re celebrating their 13th year!
You know we had a farmers market on Saturday in Spring/Summer right? Come learn more!
June 30, starts at 6:30 PM in the Library's Moeschle Meeting Room. Free to attend.
Silent Library Games
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Are you quiet enough to beat the challenges of SILENT LIBRARY?!
Inspired by the popular MTV game show (fun fact: it was adapted from a Japanese variety show "Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!!"), we'll be bringing our own spin to the Silent Library!
Play alone, or play in a team (up to 1-5 members), the goal is to see who can complete the challenges the quietest.
The last team/player standing will win a special prize!
We've got plenty of entertaining challenges to keep you and your friends busy. Dare we say watching each other try to complete them will be the best part of the evening?
Ages 18+, no signup for entry fee required. Event runs from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM.
Subjects From the Shelves: Retro Aerobics
Gather a group of friends and family and come inject your exercise/workout routine with a blast from the past!
We recommend you fish out those unitards and leg warmers from your closet (or ask your parents), and make sure your perm is perfectly teased and quaffed.
We'll be streaming a selection of workout routines and videos from the 1980's that include jazzercise, aerobics, and calisthenics to get you moving!
While the exercises might seem intense, these workout videos often have modified exercises for beginner's. So be sure to take it at your own pace. We're here to enjoy the nostalgia and have fun!
Adult Craft Day: Suminagashi Marbling
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Summer Reading Club is all about Oceans of Possibility this year, so of course we had to look to the water for inspiration on this Adult Craft Day project!
Suminagashi ("Sue-me-nah-gosh-ee") is the Japanese art of water marbling.
We'll show you how to use ink and water to marble paper that can be used for card making, gift wrapping, stationary, and more!
You'll be surprised how meditative this project can be!
Ages 18+. All supplies will be provided, but signup for class is required. Limited seating.
Make sure to dress in clothing you don't mind getting potential water/ink on.
Class will be on July 16, from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
To sign up, inquire at the front desk, call (903) 237-1350 during business hours, or message us on the library Facebook page.
MEDIA & TUTORIALS
** For all adults & children that want to participate offline, please come register at the desk.