There are several suggestions Longview Police would like to share to keep your trailer safely in your care.
- Add a locking device, security alarm, or tracking device.
- Keep documentation, including photos, of your trailer.
- Make your trailer look unique by adding personalized items or artwork or painting the trailer a bright color. This will also attract attention to the trailer by the general public in the event it is stolen. Citizens may be more apt to remember seeing it.
- Add an identification number, word, or symbol that is unique to the trailer owner (other than the VIN) in a secluded area of the trailer for easier identification by law enforcement.
- When possible, use a heavy gauge chain and lock to secure your trailer to a post or other secured object.
- Don't advertise your trailer by leaving it on the street or other location easily accessible to thieves.
- If you are in the market for a trailer, inspect the trailer you plan to purchase for any type of alterations to numbers, paint, etc.
While these tips may not prevent all trailer thefts, LPD feels these tips may help citizens who own trailers to lessen the opportunity for their trailer to be stolen.