Construction is underway to significantly expand and renovate Fire Station 5 in West Longview. Originally built in 1985, the fire station will be modernized while constructing 10,208-square-feet of new space and renovating 5,373-square-feet of the existing station. The project was funded by the November 2018 bond election.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held on Wednesday, Oct. 7, featuring representatives from the City of Longview, Riley Harris Construction L.P., and Architects Design Group. The construction is expected to take approximately 14 months, with completion near the end of 2021.
The project accomplishes the following:
- Constructs additional 10,208-square-feet of space, including a kitchen, living space, bunk rooms, and 3 new apparatus bays.
- Renovates 5,373-square-feet of existing station, including updated office space, physical agility training space, and Battalion Chief bunk with private bath.
- Removes old training tower and constructs new training tower.
- Expands personnel capacity from current maximum of 8 to at least 12.
- Adds outdoor dining and recreational areas for personnel.
- Consolidates water rescue special operations into a single facility.